When I was a child, I used to spend most of the time drawing – to play, to learn, to escape, and even as a way to interact with others. My grandfather taught my father how to draw, thus I inherited it.
Because illustration was an activity I always enjoyed, I decided to study Fashion Design, only to find out later that such a world was definitely not for me. Luckily, all the disappointment and pressure I had while dropping University only served as inspiration for me to immerse myself in Photography.
I started working with an analog camera; a tool that remains untamed in my hands, which is the reason I still adore it. Regardless of how much I can control the camera, there are always elements of surprise interfering with my expectations. I allow a great deal of my work to feature interferences which happen freely, as if somehow I become aware that sometimes I must lose control during the process and give space to other forces (whatever they might be). But I am also a strong user of flash, digital and even mobile cameras – for me, all tools are valid.
My interests lie in Street and Documentary Photography, as well as more poetic approaches with no strings attached to reality; as long as there is some sort of provocation either in the theme or in the visual of those images, naturally. This is of course contrary to the kind of photography I do commercially, which mainly consist of cheesecake nudes of females. This is a field I am not particularly enthusiastic about, but has been supporting me financially for the past 11 years in which I’ve worked strictly with Photography, therefore giving me enough freedom to keep on pursuing my ideas and further explorations.
– Fashion Design, FASM / São Paulo – 2000/2002
– Mentored by Eli Reed, Magnum Photos / Paris – 2014
– Masterclass with Bruce Gilden, Magnum Photos / Paris – 2014
– Mentored by Bruce Gilden , Magnum Photos / Tokyo – 2015
– Seeing Through Photographs, MoMa / New York – 2016
– Artist in Residence UAP / São Paulo – 2014, 2015 and 2016
– First place of the 2016 Leica/Huawei competition “It’s all about music”. See more here.
– Paris Photo Week at Magnum Photos Office – September 2014, France
– Nippon Photo Institute – March 2015, Japan
– Paraty em Foco – Agosto 2015, Brazil
– Vanitas, December 2016, at Loosen Art Gallery, Cagliari, Italy.
– “Sauvages”, 30 Contemporary Artists, EAF during Gallery Weekend, April/May 2017, Berlin.
– It’s a Match! Ori Gallery, November 2016, Berlin
– Vinyl Stories/These Walls, Edel Ag, November 2016, Hamburg
– Leica Fotografie International – August 2016
– Positive Magazine – September 2016
– PH Museum – October 2016
– Leica Fotografie International – February 2017
I’m Berlin based, but often in London and, once per year (usually in February), rediscovering Brazil. I’m also presenting workshops and basic photography tuition online. In the press-media page clickable here, you can see articles and updates about my work.
– Staff Photographer Folha de S Paulo · 2004-2006, São Paulo
– Huber Verlag, Piranha media GmbH freelancer · 2008-current, Berlin
– ZDF and ARD still photographer · 2012-2014, Berlin and Prague
– Bruce Gilden’s assistant for Leica’s Workshops in Hamburg, 2015.
GALLERIES IN BRAZIL:
– Triângulo Galeria da Imagem – R das laranjeiras, 36 – Pelourinho, Salvador
In 2012, I self-published my first book, “O”, and sold the limited 250 copies out. If you’re interested in working together, please read the FAQ first, for possible magazine features, click here first.